Thursday, November 9, 2017

30 Days of Proverbs: November 9th


November 9, 2017
Proverbs 9: Seek Wisdom, Flee From Folly

"Stolen water is sweet;
And bread eaten in secret is pleasant."
Proverbs 9: 17

A little back story about these verses: If you look back four verses or so, you realize the speaker here is someone Solomon refers to as a "foolish woman". He does this a lot through his writings- personifying (I know my 9th grade English teacher is so proud right now.) both wisdom and foolishness/sinfulness as women. I reckon if I had as many wives as he did, I may have had females on the brain too. Bless. 

But anyway- the point I was driving at was that this verse, WHILE TRUE, is bad advice. FEELING GOOD AND BEING GOOD ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS. 

You know what I'm talking about, don't you? When you're in a tight spot, and the easiest/fastest/least painful way out isn't exactly right BUT YOU DO IT ANYWAY because we as humans are lazy, self seeking people and when given the choice between what is Easy and what is Right- our nature mooooost times leans us heavily toward Easy. 
Or maybe that's just me. Bless it. 

These verses remind me to be cautious because sometimes (read: A LOT OF TIMES) sin can feel good. 

It's fun to let our hair down when chit chatting with friends and slide into gossip (GUILTY). It feels good to get up on our High Horse and pat ourselves on the back when we see someone struggling in sinful behaviors. Piously internet sleuthing on our friends and family, anxiously scanning their uploaded pictures for ammo to add to our arsenal of Wrongs They Have Committed is a pretty enjoyable way to spend a Saturday morning. Nothing goes better with coffee than judgement. Picking out specks in others lives is loads easier than identifying the logs in our own. 

 These verses remind me that just because it feels good, doesn't mean it IS good. 
And that's why we've got to be careful.

Have a Christ-filled day, y'all! And thanks for stopping by~ Katie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I moderate all posts, so yours will be reviewed and posted in a jiffy! Thanks again, y'all!