Wednesday, November 29, 2017

30 Days of Proverbs: November 29th


November 29, 2017
Proverbs 29: Parent Diligently 

"Correct your son, and he will give you comfort;
He will also delight your soul."
Proverbs 29:17

I love my kids. But I don't always like them. ::gasp:: 
I KNOW. 

Sometimes, y'all- they get on my LAST NERVE. They whine or they fight or they shoot Nerf bullets into my brand new, undecorated Christmas tree. They never flush toilets. They can grind one animal cracker into the floor of three separate rooms. They break stuff. I don't know why I buy them markers because they never put the caps back on them. They eat a single bite of every apple in our produce drawer. 

Spoiler alert: THEY ARE KIDS. Being immature and acting immature is what they do. They aren't 19 years old yet, and its not fair for me to want them to behave like a young adult because they aren't.

 BUT WITH THAT SAID- you better believe I have expectations of behavior for them. They're capable of sitting quietly in a church pew. Of singing with the congregation. Coming when they're called. Putting their clothes/toys/crusty markers away. Eating a green vegetable. Keeping 85% of their tub water INSIDE THE TUB. Playing nicely. Taking turns. Sharing. Using loving words. Not using ugly words. Finishing their school work. Emptying trash cans. Wiping tables. Wearing pants. (Bless it.)

I can always tell when I've started to slack off in the Parenting/Discipline Department. It's usually when I find myself irritated and constantly clenching my jaw. A good, ol' TMJ flare up is a sure sign that I'm stressed. And when the kids are stressing me out, there's usually (almost always) a lack of consistent discipline from me that's playing a part in their negative behavior. 

This verse reminds me that when I Barney Fife them and "nip it in the bud", everyone's lives run more smoothly. They thrive better knowing I'm enforcing consistent boundaries and I don't get a tension headache while they body surf through the empty church foyer after Ladies Bible Class dismisses. It's a win/win for us all and Solomon knew it. 

I'm glad for his encouraging reminder this morning. And I hope it encourages you in your parenting endeavors, too.

Have a Christ-filled day, y'all! And thanks for stopping by~ Katie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I moderate all posts, so yours will be reviewed and posted in a jiffy! Thanks again, y'all!