Saturday, November 18, 2017

30 Days of Proverbs: November 18th


November 18, 2017
Proverbs 18: The Power of The Tongue

"She who gives an answer before she hears,
It is a folly and shame to her."
Proverbs 18:13, pronouns changed 

Ummm....GUILTY. 
Read through Proverbs long enough and Solomon'll throat punch you on the regular. Sort of like he does to me with this verse. 

Because I'm 1000% a Fixer. 
Come to me with a problem or a situation or lumpy turkey gravy and I WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. I'll have helpful advice or a recipe solution or a Pinterest link about how apple cider vinegar will cure what ails you. 

Sometimes, MOST TIMES, people don't want to be fixed- they want to be heard
Think about it. 

When you've had a long day at home with your kids, or at work with your boss and all the dominoes have fallen and you're feeling like a deflated tire or a cup of cold, decaf coffee with that weird film on the top- What makes you feel better: to have someone sit, listen and be with you in your story, or to have someone interject their two cents with a bunch of "Well-what-you-should-have-done-s"?? Uuuuuuuugh. Just close yer mouth and open yer ears! 

When the kids have covered the dog in PlayDoh and the schoolwork got chocolate syrup on it and I forgot to defrost ground meat for supper, I don't want to call Matt and have him autocorrect my day. I want him to listen, give me a well-timed "Oh man, that's rough.". I want him to tell me that despite my day, I'm a great wife, a rockstar Mom, the best teacher ever and that he's craving grilled cheese sandwiches for supper. 
AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HE DOES. ::heart eyes::

So the next time you find yourself being like me and itching to interject your Fountain of Wisdom into the conversation- don't. Let this verse remind you to listen to hear, not to respond. And see how much better that makes your friends and family feel when they've had a long/hard/sad/emotional/tiring time of things. 

Have a Christ-filled day, y'all! And thanks for stopping by~ Katie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I moderate all posts, so yours will be reviewed and posted in a jiffy! Thanks again, y'all!