Friday, January 10, 2020

Mamas, They Are Watching



Mamas, they are watching us.

Every day.

When our back is turned or we’re washing the dishes or chopping onions or putting away laundry- they’re there. In the bathroom? At the door waiting. Taking out the trash? On your heels? Speaking to an automated telephone system? Always in the background interrupting the prerecorded menu selections.

They see how we spend our time. They peek over our shoulders to look at the Pinterest recipes we save and the funny videos we watch of kittens trying to jump off couches or the Golden Girl GIFs we text our friends. They watch us add items to our online grocery order and delete the 749 Yankee Candle emails that are clogging up our inbox. They see all things, y’all.

But what else do they notice?

This girl has been getting up every morning, spreading out a blanket and gathering every index card and post it note and hilighter she can put her hands on. She grabs her pink Bible, spreads it all out on our living room rug and then asks me to come sit with her so she can study “like you do in the mornings, Mama”.


::heart explosions::

Well, IF THAT DOESN’T PUT THE WEIGHT OF MOTHERHOOD ON MY HEART, nothing will. And sweet merciful heavens, it’s heavy.

She’s hilighted her way through Genesis and John. She’s found some verses in Psalms that she’s copied to help her when she’s having bad dreams or a hard time going to bed at night. She’s reaching out to Him for help because she sees He is the anchor in my life.

Knowing how far reaching our examples are is big stuff, y’all. It’s humbling to know that there are three souls in my house who’s view of the world is being directly and primarily shaped by ME. A woman who forgets laundry in her washing machine for two days and one time thought it would be a great idea to Armor All her car floor mats. It was like driving with your feet in grease.

THIS is why I want to study every morning. This is why I have to spend time in prayer before the kids wake up. Beginning my day with Him ensures me that all the million ways I can mess it up are covered by His Grace. Christ is the only good thing about me. Without Him I’m a hot mess. Let’s be honest- WITH HIM I AM A HOT MESS. It’s just less glaring.


Y’all, I don’t know what 2020 holds for me- but I can tell you that I’m paying a lot closer attention to the path God is laying out for as I walk it this year. And I can’t wait to see where it leads us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I moderate all posts, so yours will be reviewed and posted in a jiffy! Thanks again, y'all!