Tuesday, May 13, 2014

When Tuesday Feels Like Friday


Y'all- I know it's only Tuesday, but IT HAS BEEN A LONG WEEK ALREADY. Right now, as I type this, I am sipping/savoring a rare second cup of coffee (Sorry 'bout that extra caffeine, Nathan.) while the three kids nap/rest/read quietly for the next half hour or so. My house is clean, I've got homemade granola in the oven, supper is fixed and I've got a load of laundry tumbling in the dryer. I know it sounds like I've got it all together. I only wish it were true.
Because guess what y'all: I DON'T. 

My house is clean because my oldest, Luke has decided to come down with a funky germy thing that has necessitated a whole house scouring and disinfecting that would now allow me to pass any surprise white glove inspection. (I *almost* wish someone would stop by unannounced this afternoon just so I could let them use my freshly disinfected and toilet-ring-free bathroom with pride.) 

I've got a pan of homemade granola baking right now because I realized this morning (after Matt's lunchbox was already packed and out the door) that I had not a single crumb of a snack to add to his daily sandwich/fruit/chip/snack combo. I sent my poor husband off to fight the wolves away from the door with an empty-ish lunch box this morning. Y'all. That's awful.

My supper is fixed because we are having leftovers from our supper last night. Yesterday afternoon I made the biggest pot of Chicken Sausage Shrimp Jambalaya that has ever been made. (Seriously, I made a ton of it.) So now we will have the same supper for two or three twelve nights in a row. It's already fixed- already made- already ready for the kids to probably complain about. And, before y'all ask- YES I ALREADY PUT SOME IN THE FREEZER. If I hadn't, we would have been eating jambalaya until the 4th of July.

I've got a freshly laundered load of clothes in the dryer only because that same funky germy thing Luke has is forcing me to run all kinds of things this afternoon so that I can try and keep all the funky germy things away from him and the rest of us. If the kids wake up before that load is dry, (and I am sure they will) it will probably definitely sit in the dryer until I can get around to re-tumbling and folding it as I drink my coffee at 6:13am tomorrow.

 I wish I could wrap up this post with some nugget of inspirational wisdom I found between two cranky kids and one fussy baby and a dog that just chewed a corn cob into 742 pieces under my breakfast nook table, but I can't. Because I am wiped out, y'all. I'm too busy counting the seconds until reinforcements arrive and I can escape to recharge my batteries for half an hour. Maybe I can take a shower and brush my teeth. Or read and pray and gather myself a little before the supper rush hits. Because then we'll have plates to fix and food to eat and kids to bathe and teeth to brush and Bibles to read and prayers to say and kisses to give and blankets to fluff and 'Goodnights' to whisper and then...just like that- another long day will be over. 

Y'all, I can't lie. Today has been a long day. I'm tired. But, even as long as it's been, as frazzled as I might have gotten, as messy as this day has become- it's the best kind of tired and frazzled and messy I could ever want to be. So I'm going to enjoy a few more seconds of solitude before nap time is over, and then rest in the promise of His new mercies that will find me tomorrow morning. And I know they'll be there. Just like they always are. They'll be there right along with my coffee cup and that lagniappe load of laundry that needs to be folded. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I moderate all posts, so yours will be reviewed and posted in a jiffy! Thanks again, y'all!