Friday, March 7, 2014

When You Wake Up Tired...


Welp, y'all, last night was another long one. It started with Nathan getting up around 10:00 crying and teething. (After I had just laid down, of COURSE.) I went in and out of his room about 32 more times, but finally got him back to bed for good around 11:30. Luke and Josie were up intermittently twice after that. Somehow they know how to synchronize their sleepless nights. Sibling solidarity for the WIN. Josie woke up for the last time around 4:30 and I finally just threw in the towel and peeled back my covers for good. Anyway, I was reading through Psalms this morning and I came across several verses that stuck out to me in my sleep deprived state.

"God is our (my) refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1
"Cast your burdens upon the Lord and He will sustain you..." Psalm 55:22
"Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge..." Psalm 57:1

The kids will all be up in about an hour, but for now, the house is all mine. It's dark and quiet and calm. I've got my Bible and my fuzzy blanket and a hot cup of coffee. These are the moments in the day that sustain me. When I can sit at His feet and just....rest. And when things get hairy and hectic and stressful, I try to remember this feeling. This moment that I had in the calm that I spent with Jesus this morning. I find my shelter in the gracious, gracious shadow of His wings because I know that He is with me. He is with me when I make chocolate milk, and pay bills, and clean toilets and break up sibling squabbles. He sees me when I cut the crusts off peanut butter sandwiches and wipe faces and noses and diapers. When I'm pacing the living room rug with Nathan because he's crying, He is there. When I'm frustrated with Luke and Josie for bickering over a broken piece of crayon, He is there. He is holding my hand as I hold theirs. He is the cooling breeze that refreshes me when I am overwhelmed. When I reach my breaking point, my soul finds refuge in His grace. Because, for me, there are days when His grace is all I have left to give.

And I reckon I hope that He gives y'all that peace, too.

Happy Friday, y'all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I moderate all posts, so yours will be reviewed and posted in a jiffy! Thanks again, y'all!